Six Greek Verbs of Sexual Congress
I think LIAC should mark the passing of Professor David Bain, author inter alia of Six Greek Verbs of Sexual Congress. In case you think I am mocking his scholarship, let me say I would much rather have taken a glass with the late Professor than any of the self-important shits who fill the obituary columns as a rule, and I think his work, obscure and quirky as it may seem, a greater contribution to a civilised understanding of the world than that of any politician, soldier, sailor or financier. He was the man I should have been if I had any wit, style or intelligence.
If you want to see the full obituary, the degenerate rag that the Times has become has it online, but only free for seven days after the event. The Greeks understood that love is a cunt better than most, and though I have no idea of his romantic history, I should like to nominate him for posthumous membership of LIAC.
"Still are thy pleasant voices, thy nightingales, awake;
For Death, he taketh all away, but them he cannot take."
W J Cory's translation of Callimachus's epigram on Heraclitus
If you want to see the full obituary, the degenerate rag that the Times has become has it online, but only free for seven days after the event. The Greeks understood that love is a cunt better than most, and though I have no idea of his romantic history, I should like to nominate him for posthumous membership of LIAC.
"Still are thy pleasant voices, thy nightingales, awake;
For Death, he taketh all away, but them he cannot take."
W J Cory's translation of Callimachus's epigram on Heraclitus
"From the mid-1980s Bain developed very different interests. First he turned to the language in which sexual acts and parts of the body and other indecencies were described in Greek. He was completing a book on Greek aischrologia (foul or ill-sounding language) at the time of his death, but had already published widely on the subject in articles, perhaps most notably Apotropaic Farting (1986) and Six Greek Verbs of Sexual Congress (1991)."
He is, indeed, a brilliant candidate & worthy drinking partner. However...
"A bon vivant, Bain was a familiar figure in parts of Manchester, where he had a wide circle of friends."
Tough call...