Contributors... Aristoteli Avatar Celestine Cell Mate Christmas Myth CK Clearly Unobtainable Doktah Kay Dr. Dre Duch Emmet Enid Fucking Diddums Girl with a Knife Illegible Jaded yet Standing JP John M. Burt Juliet is Bleeding King Lovelorn Swain Minerva MyUtopia Naughty Love Pallas Athene Percival Pillowfeather Shakespeare Lies Sheryl Sleepy Jeanne STD Tigerpants Tutivllus Witt's End Yudhistra

Home  -  About  -  Contact  -  Subscribe  -  Contribute 

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Sticks and stones may break my bones,

but words may break my heart.

My ex-boyfriend "Ray" --Whooo! what a piece of work he was. Ray crashed into my life seven months and one failed rebound engagement (!) after my divorce. At the time I felt as light as air, having shaken off the burdens of my ex-husband and rebound fiancé (whose proposal I only accepted because I felt guilty that I had taken his virginity – um, I was a different person then), and I was overly confident with men. I thought I had everything under control, and never imagined that I could fall under the spell of someone as deceptive and conscience-free as Ray.

I had never to my knowledge been lied to or cheated on, and I offered Ray my trust and my love, fully and immediately. My naïveté was the beacon that drew him to me, and his confidence combined with his age (I was 27, he was 46) made me feel I had found someone who would cherish and protect me like a father, which is probably what I had been subconsciously seeking.


The next several months were a roller-coaster of emotional highs and blatant lies, passion like a sharp knife and betrayal like a dull one. It took nearly two years for me to emotionally recover after Ray was finished with me, and I'm still not sure I've done all the necessary healing.

One of the last things he ever said to me, after he had been exposed as a manipulative, womanizing, pathological liar, was this:

"The thing I always found most attractive about you was your innocence."

Then he shrugged and said, "But now that's gone."

2 Comments:

Blogger Juliet is Bleeding... said...

That post read smoothly into the sledgehammer last two lines. I really wasn't expecting anything so perfectly evil. It left me feeling hollow.

Great work!

(oh, and boo hoo, etc.)

February 25, 2005 12:22 am  
Blogger jp said...

Thanks, JiB. Ray left me feeling hollow, too.

Sniffle, sob, and all that.

February 25, 2005 12:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add this site to your start page